[OpenIndiana-discuss] funky beginer questions

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Wed Sep 11 06:16:36 UTC 2013

On 11/09/2013 01:44, Antony Brooke-Wood wrote:
> My advice is to keep it simple - from what you describe, there isn't any
> reason I can see to create more than 2 file systems.
>
> One thing you might consider is setting up CrashPlan with your server.
>
> It has a native solaris installation and for $5 a month, you can have all
> of your data replicated offsite.
>
> Combine that with ZFS and snapshots, you are looking pretty safe.

 From 7 years of experience with zfs I absolutely recommend to
go the other way, create filesystems below /rmh/... for each
host. The simple reason is that you can easily snapshot each
host, transport it, or even promote it to be the root on a real
physical machine. And you can easily destroy a machine filesystem.
It's all much easier and faster than doing a tar, rm, rsync
or whatever. With ZFS there's no reason not to have filesystems
for everything. We usually have more than hundred on a single
96 TB fileserver, no problems, but great savings in manageability.