[OpenIndiana-discuss] Accessing smb shares from windows

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Sep 26 00:13:29 UTC 2013

Rich <rercola at acm.jhu.edu> writes:

> At a guess, if you don't have the OI box joined to the AD domain, it's
> going to map any users you haven't explicitly specified in idmap to
> guest.
>
> So that would be your issue there, at least.

What is an AD domain?  And when did it become a requirement for smb
connections?

Do you know how to the mapping you mention is done?

Isn't cifs supposed to work without much in the way of  special
settings?

I seem to recall having had smb shares working a good while back... I
do remember joining a workgroup and I have done that...

>From what you've said ... it sound like the way to go would be to
setup the idmapping.

Looking into that now... but really sure what I'm looking for.