[OpenIndiana-discuss] Accessing smb shares from windows

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Sep 27 22:27:37 UTC 2013

Marc Jakob <marc at planet-sun.net> writes:

> Is the OI cifs server running in domain or workgroup mode?

I'm not sure how I would prove which for this post..  Is there a
command that would reveal that information?

I did go thru the procedure to join a workgroup called 'home' that
my windows boxes all use.

I'm pretty sure I got all the steps in there, shown on the page you
posted about at:
  https://blogs.oracle.com/timthomas/entry/solaris_cifs_in_workgroup_mode

1) turn on smb server
2) create file system with sharesmb on
3) join workgroup
4) Edit /etc/pam.conf with the line posted in this thread
5) change or reset users passwd
6) Map the share from windows
(A couple of minor steps are left out above)

At `6)' windows 7 prompts for credentials and fails when they are given.

The messages produced in the log was posted earlier too.

Probably not the same sample but (wrapped for mail):

  Sep 25 22:14:02 oi smbsrv: [ID 138215 kern.notice] NOTICE:
  smbd[OI\guest]: preader access denied: guest disabled

I haven't done anything explicitly to enable `guest' and am not
attempting to access as guest... but as user `reader'