[OpenIndiana-discuss] Identical Installs but different screen Res

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Apr 18 06:58:38 UTC 2014

17 апреля 2014 г. 21:11:20 CEST, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> пишет:
>A little off topic because of running as guest in vbox on windows 7
>64bit.
>
>I've done two installs of oi -b 151_a8.  Both since updated to 151_9,
>but the phenomena was there right from the start.
>
>Once the install is over during the first round of settings I have
>found that one vm has possible highest Screen res Setting of:
>
>  1440 x 1050
>
>While the other install has a highest setting of only:
>
>  1280 x 1024
>
>I've asked on the vbox list, and done some digging in vbox docs trying
>to see if screen res is something vbox can effect.  But found no
>reason to thing so.
>
>Apparently its a factor of the OS.
>
>Can anyone offer a clue or guess why screen res is lower on one
>install?
>
>Can anyone offer any ideas about how to get higher screen res.
>
>I have tried adjusting the amount of (video) memory Vbox allows under
>its 'Display' settings.... trying the default... which I now have
>forgotten but definitely below 50mb.
>
>I have tried boosting (video) memory to 50mb and to 75mb without seeing
>any
>noticeable effect at all.

Hi, I've seen similar behavior with guest tools installed - the ms-windows window size for virtualbox is then offered as one of the options for the vm screen resolution. In fact, with two screens (laptop + external) my oi vm running under windows offers two displays of corresponding resolution, which I can then make seamless with the host os - pretty neat ;)

Given that windows has better hardware support for anything on this laptop - lan, wifi, video, usb, hibernation... - this is probably the setup which will stick on a new laptop at work.  Even though OI was installed into a partition and can dual-boot into a native 'physical' os - it is just too feature-poor interfacing with the real physical world for any usability natively ;(
And given that i am not a kernel/driver developer and in the end a computer and its OS are tools to get the official job done... well... i'd rather have to use whatever works and does not impede my job. Even though a native oi might be more suitable than one in the vm.

Might yet settle on physical linux, like the rest of the team did, though...
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android