[OpenIndiana-discuss] Exclusive IP zones under VMware

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Apr 21 16:25:28 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-21 17:20, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> Now that I've copied the zone into the new master zone running under VMware,
> I've run into a problem with IP networking.  I've set up the vnic, assigned
> the IP, and can ping/access the IP from the global zone. However I can't
> access that IP from the LAN. Oddly, the arp table in the external machine
> I'm pining from DOES have an entry with the correct MAC address.

Does VMWare have any toggles for filtering Ethernet packets?
Essentially, it provides you a virtual NIC with some MAC address,
but your VNIC uses a different MAC address. Possibly, it is the
hypervisor that prevents delivery of the frames to your VM, and
probably this can be amended in the engine or per-VM settings.

Alternately, you can look at either using shared-IP zones which
use essentially "aliases" of your main NIC and by consequence
the same MAC address and routing tables, or at a private LAN
(etherstub) inside your OI VM, with the GZ or some other zone
owning the VMWare-backed NIC serving as a router (maybe NAT).
For the NAT case, you might set up the rules for 1:1 publication
of the zone on a dedicated address served for the outside world
on the routing zone; however other zones of this VM would only
"see" this zone by its internal private address.

The latter options are discussed in the Wiki, most detailed here:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Using+host-only+networking+to+get+from+build+zones+and+test+VMs+to+the+Internet

HTH,
//Jim Klimov