[OpenIndiana-discuss] Exclusive IP zones under VMware

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 19:27:40 UTC 2014

Sounds like similar problem as under Virtualbox.
The emulated e1000g claims to support 15 mac addresses, but actually
only the first mac address works, so frames addressed to the other mac
addresses are not passed up.
If the emulated e1000g correctly claimed to support only 1 mac address,
then the driver would put it into promiscuous mode when it needs more
than one mac address.
I know yours looks like it is in promiscuous mode, but try seeing if it
works whilst you snoop the interface (in promiscuous mode), and it would
be interesting to know if snoop can see the frames send to the second
mac address.

The other possibility is that the driver has done the right thing
putting the emulated e1000g into promiscuous mode, but some VMware
configuration may not be allowing it to really work this way.