[OpenIndiana-discuss] paging any HP xw8600 users.. or knowledgeable others

Timothy Coalson tsc5yc at mst.edu
Thu Aug 7 19:12:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:52 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

> I hope there are folks here who are using HP xw8600 servers.  Or are
> knowledgable about them. (Timothy C? perhaps)

I haven't used the model, nor much HP stuff at all...I thought there was a
reply from someone who had used one earlier...

> I'm having plenty of problems understanding how the various bios
> settings, raid settings, LSI settings interplay to make disks be
> recognized when plugged into various Sata and SAS ports.
>
> There are some 14 such ports, but so far I've only figured out how to
> use the first 4 main sata ports..
>
> I need to get more drives in action to get the 4-5 mirrored zpools I
> had hoped for. Rpool and 3-4 others.
>
> In the main bios there seems to be 3 main disk related settings.
>
> In the Main menu of bios from the top menu item `Storage' down to the
> `options' item, then to:
>
>   SATA Emulation—Sets the SATA emulation mode with the following options:
>
>      RAID + AHCI–both the RAID and AHCI OPROMs execute. This emulation
>      mode is the default and offers the best performance and most
>      functionality.
>
>      Separate IDE Controller–offers standard SATA supports (four ports
>      only).
>
>      Combined IDE Controller–makes the SATA controller look like an IDE
>      controller and offers best IDE compatibility (two ports only).
>
> That first option seem to be a non-starter for oi OS.  Here it WILL
> NOT boot with that selected.
>
> In previous threads I started here, someone posted a URL where oracle
> says the 2nd one is the best:
>    Separate IDE controller [...]
>
> It will boot on the 3rd option.  I experimented on both 2nd and 3rd
>
> I tried plugging two sata drives into the right most SATA ports
> .. that would be the upper row of Sata ports on mobo that are colored
> RED.
>
> I got a red blinking light, loud beeping and no post.

I would guess that this is because you don't have the RAID + AHCI option
selected, since the other options specifically say only 2 or 4 sata ports
will work.  This is a purely academic question as long as OI won't boot in
that mode, though.

> I tried plugging 2 sata hdd into the two right most SAS/SATA ports on
> the lowest row but the bios failed to recognize them.

You might try looking for SAS options in the bios, or in the manuals on
HP's site - interestingly, a hard drive installation guide for it has this
odd tidbit:

"Attach the lowest number SFF hard drive (number 1) data cable to the
lowest number SAS
port (SAS0).  Attach each succeeding SFF hard drive number data cable to
the next higher SAS port,
leaving no gaps in SAS port numbering from SAS0 upward through SAS2."

So, you might want to try using only consecutive SAS ports from 0 (gray).
Also, watch the BIOS part of the boot process carefully, at least the newer
LSI cards have a separate part of the boot sequence that prompts you to
press some keys to enter configuration, which you might need to do
(especially if the SAS chip is in fact configured for RAID rather than as
an HBA).

> So far I don't seem to have any harm to the OS or Hardware but am a
> bit leery of continuing with my ill informed trial and error without
> some further coaching from people who know this kind of hardware.
>
> Its my first dealings with a server type of machine.
>
> For anyone interested there is a lengthy hardware and software report
> on this machine online.  Only drawback is that it was extracted while
> the server was running windows7 (by a tool called AIDA64) .
>
>   http://zeus.jtan.com/~reader/vu1/Aida64_rpt-140718.html
>
> I could really some informed coaching right about now.
>
> Maybe the answer is to add a specific piece of hardware like a SATA
> controller ... lord knows I have plenty of empty slots.

That would also let you use more than 4 disks larger than 2TB.  A
consistent recommendation on the list is an LSI SAS2 HBA, such as the
9207-8i (or a card with the same chip rebranded by another vendor, check
the list archives - but again, try to avoid the RAID versions).  You'll
need SFF-8087 breakout cables, but they aren't hard to find.