[OpenIndiana-discuss] Persistent permissions

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Wed Aug 20 18:14:00 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure how to do this under ZFS, but here goes...

I have a ZFS share/pool which is accessed via SMB and also SFTP. A
number of different users can put (and move) files between directories
and even create directories in some cases.

I would like any file which is uploaded or moved (or new directory
created) ... to obtain the permissions and levels of the directory that
it is moved/copied to, regardless of what it had before it was moved,
and regardless of the account or permissions of the account that did the
operation, whether it be done via SMB or SFTP. Also, any directory then
created will have the same influence on any files created/copied in to
it.

At the moment, I am using a script which will go through the directory
structures and forcefully re-write the ownerships and permissions of
every file, but this obviously has an impact as if there is a copy
operation going on when the script hits that particular area, it can
re-write the permissions on a file and halt the copy process because of
a permissions error.  This technique also has the problem that some
users have to wait for the script to run, because they won't have
access until the file/directory permissions have been re-written.

Is there any more elegant way of doing this please?

Michelle.