[OpenIndiana-discuss] VNC connections to Hipster

Bruce Lilly bruce.lilly at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 17:34:34 UTC 2014

Different setup here (oi_151a8 (not hipster), openSUSE clients, had
different error message from Remmina before failure ("Selected Security
Scheme 18")).
vncviewer (part of the "tightvnc" package on the openSUSE client side)
works file.  GNOME client (vinagre) fails. KDE client (krdc) just shows a
dark cyan background.  Remmina fails with a popup error message as noted
above with mostly default settings, but works if the connection is edited
by checking the "Disable encryption" checkbox on the Remmina side.

So, some things to try in your situation:
1. try different clients on your Ubuntu box(es) [tightvnc's vncviewer is
basic, but if it works that indicates a Remmina issue]
2. try Remmina options, especially related to encryption.
3. check if your install wiped out anything that you used to have on the OI
box (e.g. detailed GNOME preferences for desktop sharing (one of the
      nondescript icons on the top panel) for the user that has the GNOME
session open).