[OpenIndiana-discuss] VNC connections to Hipster

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Aug 25 14:19:59 UTC 2014

25 августа 2014 г. 10:18:27 CEST, Dave Koelmeyer <dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz> пишет:
>Hi Folks,
>
>Before I go delving into why, has anyone else encountered issues with
>using Remmina (on Ubuntu) to connect over VNC to Hipster? On my old
>oi_151a8 box one simply enabled the VNC server in Gnome (/"Preferences
>-> Desktop Sharing"/), pointed Remmina to it without any special sauce
>and it just worked. On my Hipster box (installed using the latest
>Hipster ISO and updated via the current Hipster repository), attempting
>
>the same spits out an error: /"TLS handshake failed: A TLS packet with
>unexpected length was received"/. Doesn't appear to be the client
>either, based on seeing the same thing irrespective of which Ubuntu box
>
>I connect from.
>
>Is anyone else seeing this?

Hi, I have no idea about the real isssue, but my debugging would start with a sniffer with packet output (tcpdump verbose, ngrep, etc.) of your two cases.

As far as random guesswork goes, you might have 'plaintext' communications flowing where at least one of the sides expects (or agreed) to encrypted comms (e.g. like when you poke HTTP requests at pure HTTPS server handlers or vice-versa)?

Alternately, the two might have incompatible crypto settings (i.e. recent SSH (may be your tunnel implementation) versions deprecated insecure ciphers and disabled them by default, while somewhat older clients did not have newer ciphers - hence no feature overlap, negotiations fail... logs and/or higher ssh client or server verbosity might help test that.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android