[OpenIndiana-discuss] What encryption options are available? [b 151_9]

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Aug 26 13:51:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Hopefully I've gotten it all wrong.
> I'd hoped for something as simple as `encfs', then read that encryption
> was now built into zfs.  But then it appears not to be so for oi?

Zfs encryption is for the data stored on disk and is not 'file' level.
Regardless, it is not provided for OpenIndiana.  FreeBSD has an
encryption layer which can be used on devices underneath zfs.

> Can anyone spell out what is available to use on OI 151_9 in the way
> of really basic encryption?
>
> I'm basically only looking for something that would baffle script
> kiddies.  I don't expect to be attacked by serious players.

If you want to protect individual files you could install and use pgp.

The problem with so-called "script kiddies" is that usually such
scripts are run from within the cone of trust so they have access to
decrypted data.  If the filesystem automatically decrypts the data for
the applications (the normal case for an encrypting filesystem), then
a script running on that filesystem is able to use it.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn