[OpenIndiana-discuss] Chm viewer, xchm and Hipster

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 09:31:40 UTC 2014

On 12/26/14 09:02 AM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 12/26/2014 10:40, Nikola M. via illumos-discuss wrote:
>> On 12/26/14 06:34 AM, Peter Toth via illumos-discuss wrote:
>>>
>>> This book is an absolute gem, very well written and has an extensive
>>> documentation on zones. A ton of very relevant good information in it!
>>>
>> I have this book in .CHM file format, but have trouble with CHM viewer,
>> I am on Openindiana/illumos.
>> I use CHM viewer that comes together with Virtualbox for Solaris
>> binaries , but it does not display any pictures.
>
> Hi. Just out of curiosity, why xchm doesn't work for you? Or do you
> use OI /dev ?

Hi, please try putting mailing list in To: field and person's mail in
Cc: to make
list" plus CC:)
I additionally put Reply-to: mailing list address.
This way, publicly asked question leads to mailing list breakage and
turning replying in private messaging, if one does not add list mailing
list to To: every time it answers.

To answer your question, I am currently under low-bandwith internet over
cellular network
(using OI internet over mobile phone/3G card and ppp,
http://clayb.net/blog/im-connected-through-the-aether-well-using-1900mhz-cellular/
, it also works with mobile phone over USB, one just needs right AT
string for the phone: For Nokia Xpress music it is "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1
&D2 +FCLASS=0" )
so I stopped updating Hipster some time ago.
My Oi Hipster (that WAS updated from /dev long time ago, but that state
of Hipster has not been freezed to enable updates) reads illumos-a776d98
and BE date is
2014-08-24. I am also not sure if updating Hipster->Hipster would work
when I tried a month ago but did not get bootable BE) but I could try
again I got to more bandwidth place.

I am just installing xchm (over 64kbit link and it worked, nice!)
but Xchm has a problem of not making enough space between words so text
is unreadable.
If Xpdf got there from CSW, that bug was there too.

Also I don't count as package available for OI if it is not made and
available for /dev .

That made me wondering : how newer packages without incorporations
restraints are expected to behave well on older unupdated
rolling-release installations..
Using newer packages on older non-updated rolling-release model
distribution, without prior testing, could lead to breakages in
compatibility and application behaviour.
(and releasing changes in distribution must be done with testing of
distribution as a whole and is a base of _supportable_ product)
That leads to other questions : Why keep pushing OI Hipster as rolling
release, not planning to have stable release?
And also why planning to break binary compatibility (and thus even get
lower application count without applications made for Solaris 10) and
not having workaround for it in current distro?

Why not updating /dev instead ,and maintaining package dependencies via
upgrading incorporations?
Hipster started by updating from /dev.
Why then not continuing /dev and why disabling (e.g. not
caring/enabling) updating from /dev ?

I guess those are philosophical differences between having stable
distribution and rolling release forever.