[OpenIndiana-discuss] Chm viewer, xchm and Hipster

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Fri Dec 26 10:12:11 UTC 2014

On 12/26/2014 12:31, Nikola M. wrote:> Also I don't count as package
available for OI if it is not made and
> available for /dev .
> That made me wondering : how newer packages without incorporations
> restraints are expected to behave well on older unupdated
> rolling-release installations..
> Using newer packages on older non-updated rolling-release model
> distribution, without prior testing, could lead to breakages in
> compatibility and application behaviour.

Package requirements specify the versions which are required to install
and use this package.

> (and releasing changes in distribution must be done with testing of
> distribution as a whole and is a base of _supportable_ product)
> That leads to other questions : Why keep pushing OI Hipster as rolling
> release, not planning to have stable release?

Because there's noone interested  in *making* stable OI release.

> And also why planning to break binary compatibility (and thus even get
> lower application count without applications made for Solaris 10) and
> not having workaround for it in current distro?

If I understand it correctly we were the only illumos distribution which
delivered Studio-compiled C++ libraries. Now we deliver only
G++-compiled C++ libraries. Anyone interested in binary compatibility
with Solaris 10 are advised to use Solaris 10 branded zones.
Nonetheless, breakage concerns only C++ applications.

> Why not updating /dev instead ,and maintaining package dependencies via
> upgrading incorporations?
> Hipster started by updating from /dev.
> Why then not continuing /dev and why disabling (e.g. not
> caring/enabling) updating from /dev ?
>
> I guess those are philosophical differences between having stable
> distribution and rolling release forever.

1) IMHO, /dev is outdated and has a terrible build process. I think that
if someone cares about /dev good starting point would be porting some
applications (e.g. openjdk, updated PostgreSQL, Percona Server, nginx,
what else...) from oi-userland to oi-build. But I don't care about /dev.

2) We have no power to create stable distribution, either based on /dev
or /hipster. Period. If someone is interested in making /stable from
/hipster, I'll help. But I'm not going to start doing it myself, as it's
impossible for one man.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,