[OpenIndiana-discuss] Window manager problems after upgrade to oi_151a9

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Tue Feb 4 08:32:20 UTC 2014

I upgraded from oi_151a7 to oi_151a9 yesterday (some of you may have
noticed! :-) ) and now I have a strange but consistent problem with the
window manager in the new BE.

I log in, which looks nice, gdm seems to act the way it should, and when
I get in, an open terminal window appears, all the icons I expect on the
desktop appear, but the panels of the window manager do not appear.

I thus have no useful window manager available,

 From the terminal window, I tried

metacity --replace

and something flashes by, I think it is an open window or two, but from
the session I was running when I performed the OS upgrade, and then
nothing, no panels no control.

The desktop background right-click menu is available, but that's it.

Some GConf problem, or what???

I also tried

compiz --replace

and the result was, as far as I could determine, identical.