[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2014 April 8

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 10:18:12 UTC 2014

On 6 February 2014 20:21, cpforum <cpforum at orange.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2014 April 8 ... this is the End ...
>
> End of what ?
>
> Just the End of Microsoft support for Windows XP.
> Time passing, 2014 April 8 will be the beginning of more and more Windows
> XP botnets.
> Facts : to day about 20 - 30 % of desktop are still running Windows XP
> (almost 50% are in China).
>
> It's a chance for Linux, it's also an unique opportunity for Openindiana
> and other IllumOS based distros.

I'm sorry, but you are deluding yourself if you believe that OpenIndiana
has a chance in the Everyday Desktop market.

According to browser statistics 30% of the world are still running XP, and
that isn't going to change overnight, less than 10% of the world are
running Windows 8, even 3% are running Vista ... (source:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/03/windows_81_becomes_worlds_fourthmostpopular_desktop_os/)

Do you think that because Microsoft stop creating patches that it will lose
significant market share? I'm not sure I even want to think about the fact
that a large proportion of those 30% of computers are not even kept patched

Even then, I wouldn't move the average Joe to OpenIndiana, I'd move them to
Linux.  In terms of user accessibility and usability (and general
application support) they're leagues ahead of us ... Google Chrome for
Linux has the latest version of Adobe flash-player built in, and we are
never going to get that.

I believe that Illumos is more stable and reliable that Linux. I believe
that the networking and ZFS support on Illumos is better.
I know that USB support on Linux is better. I know that support of other
filesystems (FAT/FAT32/EXT2 etc) is better on Linux.

I love OpenIndiana. I use it every day.  But for 99.9% of the population is
it not the correct solution.

</RANT>