[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2014 April 8

cpforum cpforum at orange.fr
Fri Feb 7 17:35:07 UTC 2014

> Message du 07/02/14 11:19
> De : "Jonathan Adams"

> I'm sorry, but you are deluding yourself if you believe that OpenIndiana
> has a chance in the Everyday Desktop market.

I'm not deluding myself. I just believe that a more desktop oriented Openindiana
could multiply by 2, 3, 4 or more the number of people who subscrided to this list
and attracts some developpers. Writing papers about OpenIndiana is possible. I do it
last March 2012.

Who can tell how many we are on this list ? may the manager of openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
give us this number ?

> According to browser statistics 30% of the world are still running XP, and
> that isn't going to change overnight, less than 10% of the world are
> running Windows 8, even 3% are running Vista ... (source:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/03/windows_81_becomes_worlds_fourthmostpopular_desktop_os/)

Statcounter XP Wordwide 24%

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-monthly-201311-201401-bar

Same for Germany only 13.7 % (and 2,7 % of Linux)
http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-DE-monthly-201311-201401-bar

You ca play with the stacounter interface for every country.

> Do you think that because Microsoft stop creating patches that it will lose
> significant market share?

No of course.

> I'm not sure I even want to think about the fact
> that a large proportion of those 30% of computers are not even kept patched

Certaintly you're right.

> Even then, I wouldn't move the average Joe to OpenIndiana, I'd move them to
> Linux.

To day if I have to move my old friend average Joe from XP to a free OS, my choice
will go to CentOS 6 or future Xubuntu 14.04 for low memory desktop. But if I have to choose
between a good Linux distro and Openindiana with basic and uptodate desktop applications
I have no doubt : OpenIndiana is easier to maintain and if a new BE don't boot it's very easy to come
back to previous BE delete it and try again later. So OpenIndiana/ZFS/BE is enough robust for average
Joe.

> In terms of user accessibility and usability (and general
> application support) they're leagues ahead of us ... Google Chrome for
> Linux has the latest version of Adobe flash-player built in, and we are
> never going to get that.

How long flash is needed ? Firefox already has native VP8/Ogg Codec. VP9 is comming soon
(Firefox 28 ?) and shumway extension begin to play flash animation. (it works under Solaris 10
but the switch Shumway/Flash no longer appears with Firefox 26 under 151a9).

Chrome 31 only works under Fedora or last Ubuntu; under CentOS 6 for exemple last Google Chrome
able to run is version 26.

> I believe that Illumos is more stable and reliable that Linux. I believe
> that the networking and ZFS support on Illumos is better.
> I know that USB support on Linux is better. I know that support of other
> filesystems (FAT/FAT32/EXT2 etc) is better on Linux.
>
> I love OpenIndiana. I use it every day. But for 99.9% of the population is
> it not the correct solution.

You forgot that the only tool used by almost 50 % of the non pro population using a PC is a
web browser. The next 40 % sometime works with an Office suite an manage jpeg files from
last holidays. Only 10 % or less are powerfull users and do not use a webmail to read
their mails but a MUA.