[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2014 April 8

cpforum cpforum at orange.fr
Fri Feb 7 18:29:00 UTC 2014

> Systems running Windows XP are not a "market". They were part of a
> "market" quite a few years ago.

I don't agree with that.
Depression is always here in many country and it's not a priority for most
people to change PC now.

25 % of XP is realy a very big market and MicroSoft is afraid to loose it if
home users buy Mac, Chrome Book or Linux box instead of Windows 8 PC. I
recently read that ChromeOS catch 25 % of Tablet/Netbooks market in North America.

Both Google Chrome and Firefox are maintained until last 2015.
MicroSoft came back on decision to stop Microsoft Security Essentials
and Malware removal tool and continue maintenance for both last 2015.
So this market could last 2 or 3 years with OR without XP.
Without means Linux and others like OI or BSD.

> For every Windows XP system still
> actively used to browse the internet, there are probably two more
> still left turned on. Most of these systems are best recycled into
> plastic powder rather than reused since they are slow and bad for the
> environment.

I just can tell that OpenIndiana on a 2003 Pentium IV 2,53 Ghz with 1,25 Gb RAM
run fast enough. Manay XP PC are faster than that. And XP has been sold until 2009.

> Evidence strongly suggests that the days of PC-style desktops are
> over. Microsoft just changed its top management and selected
> management with cloud expertise, Dell went private due to dwindling
> sales, HP's PC division is suffering, and Sony's Vaio division is
> being sold.

Just crisis ! You can tell the same thing for many activities.

> The desktop PC market is collapsing fast at perhaps 30%
> reduction in sales per year. The new normal has not been found yet.

The new normal stay PC for companies. I agree for the new normal
for personnal use.

> Illumos-based systems are well positioned to provide the back-end
> servers and cloud computing that mobile and thin clients need now and
> in the future. This bright future in infrastructure need not distract
> from our desire to also use it as a GUI desktop for common usages.

Many people don't agree with cloud.