[OpenIndiana-discuss] Low low end server

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 17:55:08 UTC 2014

I have an N40L configured w/ 4 x 2 TB disks and 8 GB of ECC DRAM.  The disks have two partitions each.   A small one for a 4 way mirrored root pool and a large one for data using double parity RAIDZ.  It's a bit of extra work to configure, but works very nicely giving 100+ MB/s disk I/O. (179 MB/s 4 disk RAIDZ1, 109 MB/s RAIDZ2).  An N54L should do better.

The trick is to install  OI to a small partition on a single disk.  Then partition the other disks, mirror the root pool, detach the first disk, repartition it and  add it to the mirror.  Then form the RAIDZ on the rest of the disk.  Technically it's not bootable RAIDZ, but it's close enough for me.

Have Fun!
Reg