[OpenIndiana-discuss] fuiture small expansion of raidz1 possible?

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Tue Feb 11 09:12:37 UTC 2014

Suppose I set up a raidz1 of N disks now, and fill it up, and suddenly I
realize I'm going to need more space, but not enough to warrant setting
up a new raidz1 of another N or more disks, it's just a minor need, so I
need N+1 disks, rather than just N.

Can this be done w/o losing the data on the original zpool?

And on a similar note: Suppose I have a signgle disk with data, and I
decide I can just afford a raidz1 of 4 disks, so I buy 3 more.... can I
somehow migrate the data on the original single disk onto a 3 disk
raidz1 and then add the original disk to that raidz?