[OpenIndiana-discuss] fuiture small expansion of raidz1 possible?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Feb 11 12:19:02 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-11 12:13, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> That 4th, file, device wouldn't need to be physically large, would it??
> It could reside on a much smaller disk. And smaller disks I have a
> bagload of.

No, initially the space is not used - so it can be a huge sparse file.
I believe "mkfile -n" is what I've used, but may remember incorrectly.

It should "seem" as large as your other drives so that the pool is made
big enough; otherwise it is limited by the smallest of the devices.

And before you copy data into this pool, do remember to export it and
delete the file. Just deleting won't cut it, an "opened" file remains
on the filesystem until all processes that use it, finally do close it.

//Jim