[OpenIndiana-discuss] Virtualbox, OI 151a8 and vboxflt problem

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Thu Feb 13 03:22:26 UTC 2014

On 14-02-12 06:55 PM, Carl Brewer wrote:
> On 13/02/2014 12:27 PM, Geoff Nordli wrote:
>
>> Hi Carl.
>>
>> I have a few OI+VBox boxes in production right now and I haven't
>> experienced any networking failure.  The only part isn't supported is
>> the crossbow network stack, you need to use the streams version. They
>> have absolutely been rock solid.
>
> I haven't done anything non-standard with this box, AFAIK. How would I
> know if it was using crossbow?

I don't even think crossbow will install on OI, it fails during install

>> They are all running the 4.2.x version of the software though.
>>
>> You should file a bug at: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker
>
> Done
>

>> Another note:  I had major performance gains using the virtio network
>> type, instead use the Intel version.  I was only getting 27MBps on the
>> virtio, but the PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM) got 70MBps using nttcp on
>> a Windows guest.   I haven't done any performance testing on the Linux
>> or FreeBSD guests yet.
>
> Not sure if that would play nicely with NetBSD 5.x?
>
> They're webservers, the bottleneck is my DSL link, not the speed of
> the interfaces.

Have you tried switching to different NIC types?  I would give it a
try.  I did have a Linux machine that would freeze and I switched to a
different NIC type which fixed it.

I see that the wm driver supports any one of the VBox nic types:
82540EM|82543GC|82545EM

http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?wm+4+NetBSD-6.0+i386

As a note, I am running pfsense (freebsd) on with a 82540EM nic type
without any issues.  This one is running on an Ubuntu host though....

Geoff