[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 8/9 branded zones

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Feb 17 16:53:57 UTC 2014

Hello all,

   Is there any Solaris 8 or Solaris 9 branded zone support?
Or was "project Etude" never open-sourced (and was it limited
to SPARC only?)

   I thought of making a compile-farm on a single box for a
number of OSes that I still support, including legacy Solaris
installations which work in "ain't broke - don't touch" mode,
so that I can build updated packages of my software for them
all with a single command or close to that, and without the
delays incurred by compilation over NFS. I thought of using
zones for OI/sol10/linux24/linux26(soon) and wondered if the
older Solaris environments can be executed as branded zones
as well (perhaps named solaris10, but running solaris8?), or
should I resort to VM's right away?

Thanks,
//Jim