[OpenIndiana-discuss] How do I upgrade from 151a7 to 151a9 ?

Dmitry Kozhinov dima at desktopfay.com
Wed Feb 19 14:09:55 UTC 2014

Not to blame anyone, but IMO every next OI release becomes less stable
than previous...

The latest release which works stable for me is 151a7. 151a8 also
worked, though I could not configure network interface using GUI tool in
it (after disabling "nwam" and enabling "default").

Then 151a9 was released. After upgrading my 32-bit production server, it
simply did not boot. It gone into infinite boot loop at the very early
stage of the boot process. OK, who needs a decade-old 32-bit hardware
(which though worked like a clockwork with 151a7, and had 3GB of RAM,
not the very minimum)... I have upgraded my hardware. Now it is 64-bit.

I have started from 151a7, not 8 (to avoid hassle with setting static IP
address manually in various config files - I could miss something and
spend much more time to do this simple setting). OK, 151a7 is working
fine. Upgrading to 151a9... GNOME degraded. No upper toolbar, no lower
status bar, no Nimbus theme, just background image and mouse pointer.
Right-click menu is working though.

There was an advice to reinstall gvfs. Tried in a test virtualbox setup.
This worked in reverse! In /virtualbox/, 151a7 /successfully/ upgraded
to 151a9. Though in vbox the upgrade went successfully, I have tried if
reinstalling gvfs is safe (before trying it at production server).
Booted into single user mode, log in as root, and did
# pkg uninstall gvfs
# pkg install gvfs
And rebooted. What do you think? GNOME degraded. In the same way as in
the production server. Reinstalling gvfs caused exactly the same
symptoms which it intended to cure.

If someone knows how to upgrade 151a7 to 151a9, please post step-by step
instructions.

Regards,
Dmitry.