[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg and local zones

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Thu Feb 20 17:24:34 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Tribble" <peter.tribble at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion list for OpenIndiana" <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 8:53:53 AM
Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg and local zones

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM, Stefan Müller-Wilken <
stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de> wrote:

> What speaks against Jim's original approach of using the '-R' option to
> pkg? I've used this with very reasonable success for quite a while now.
> That simply works for me.

I would expect it to mostly work most of the time, but it's not
quite equivalent, nor is it guaranteed to work correctly under
all circumstances, and it's not always safe.(Think, for example,
of a situation in which the file system layout in the zone is
constructed from mountpoints that don't have the same
layout as viewed from the global zone. There was a time
when the SVR4 packaging tools used to be able to work out
how to put things in the right place for diskless client systems,
but that just shows how fragile this could be.)

Gotta second Peter's caution here. This is precisely the kind of inconsistency we've run into when using the -R option to pkg. I'm quite sure I _still_ don't understand it (and wait patiently for one of you to write the 'Definitive Guide' !! ) Meanwhile: Magical incantations, glue and duct tape.

Lou Picciano

There's probably a good reason why the manpages for pkgadd
and pkgrm explicitly tell you not to do this!

--
-Peter Tribble