[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hardware advice on cheap homeserver

Eric D. Mudama edmudama at bounceswoosh.org
Fri Feb 21 18:04:41 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 19 at  7:45, Gary Gendel wrote:
>On 02/19/2014 06:50 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
>>On 2014-02-17 23:54, alka wrote:
>>>I would prefer a mainboard based on an Intel serverchipset
>>>with 4 better 8 GB ECC RAM together with an i3 (Xeon as an option
>>>then for napp-in-one)
>>>
>>>If you look at
>>>http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1150
>>>you get such boards that are perfect for ZFS and widely used with
>>>OI and OmniOS.

The latest and previous generation i3 CPUs support ECC memory, e.g.:

Gen4:
http://ark.intel.com/products/77480/Intel-Core-i3-4130-Processor-3M-Cache-3_40-GHz

Gen3:
http://ark.intel.com/products/65690/Intel-Core-i3-3240-Processor-3M-Cache-3_40-GHz

54-55W, includes graphics, and supports 32GB of DDR3-1600, and both are
relatively cheap with a multitude of motherboard options.

--
Eric D. Mudama
edmudama at bounceswoosh.org