[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hardware advice on cheap homeserver

tomte at ulkhyvlers.net tomte at ulkhyvlers.net
Fri Feb 21 19:32:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 11:54:40PM +0100, alka wrote:
> I would prefer a mainboard based on an Intel serverchipset
> with 4 better 8 GB ECC RAM together with an i3 (Xeon as an option then for napp-in-one)
>
> If you look at http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1150
> you get such boards that are perfect for ZFS and widely used with OI and OmniOS.
>
> Gea

Not a bad suggestion at all.
Supermicro has served me well on previous occations, but none of my local shops
carry any of their stuff...

So I ended up with a Gigabyte B85M-D3H, i3-4130 and 4 gigs of ram in the end.
The local shop had an upgrade package for just under $300, so I decided to
go with it for better or worse.

So far its been working ok out of the box with the LSI controller.
But then I havent tried audio either since its a headless server in the closet ;)

// Richard

--
"Its hard to be religious when certain people are never
incinerated by bolts of lightning."

- Calvin & Hobbes