[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS pool layout - request for opinion

Stefan Müller-Wilken stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de
Wed Feb 26 10:47:19 UTC 2014

Disks are cheaper than data - that is indeed true. So you're putting data into a four-time mirrored configuration? Or RAIDZ-1 or RAIDZ-2?

The question is more of maximum capacity. If you're dedicating two disks to the root pool, you're left with max. 4 4TB disks for the rest - effectively wasting >6TB of potential space. Booting RAIDZ pools is not possible, right? If it was, you could put all six disks in one large RAIDZ and cut rpool and data out of that, no?

Cheers
 Stefan