[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS pool layout - request for opinion

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 10:57:00 UTC 2014

2x 256GB + 2x(2x4TB) , 256GB in the root pool, 8Tb in the datapool.

However, when we got to 6 servers with the same configuration it was deemed
to be wasteful on rpools (not to mention electricity and management costs),
especially since they weren't being used for live storage, only for backup,
so we created a new storage array, 6x4x4TB hot-plug disks, 2 SSD internal
raid, dual LSI 16 port controllers ... but in that case most of the pools
are 2x4TB mirrored, (12 pools of 4TB) but since they're archiving physical
servers at 12 sites, and most of them have ~2TB mirrored at each we should
be fine.

Ooh that was a long sentence.

Trouble with that configuration is that it's an all eggs in one basket
issue, so we had to have a second one off-site that clones the original,
looks a lot nicer than 6 towers though.

Jon