[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS pool layout - request for opinion

John McEntee JMcEntee at stirling-dynamics.com
Wed Feb 26 13:16:29 UTC 2014

My best servers have 24 hot swap bays in a 4 U case (DIY build) using 3 x 8 port LSI cards. 3 drives 3 way mirror across the 3 controllers ,2 x 256GB ssd one spinning rust, for rpool, early days of SSD and was worried about reliability.  Only 20Gb or so of the ssds is for the rpool the rest is parition as a ZIL and cache for the main zpool. The other 21 x 4TB disk are either 3 way mirrors (across the controllers), this time to rebuild from a failed 4TB disk is a long time, and I have a little extra user error protection at failure time. Or for a backup server 3 x 6 x 4TB RAIDZ2 ( 2 on each controller in a set) (currently 3 slots empty). In either build I can lose a single disk controller, or at least 2 disks and still function.

Only the backup servers have dedup enabled with 96GB of RAM. (ratio of 3.6)