[OpenIndiana-discuss] Nwam interfaces and aliases

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 12:51:32 UTC 2014

I taught myself nwam for my laptop ... and I'm probably more unusual in
that I run an OpenLDAP replica on my laptop and use LDAP for login
(overridden automount to point to localhost for selected users, syncs
automatically on seeing the "home" network) but I have to say that NWAM
gets in the way if you just want to temporarily plumb up an interface on
192.168.0.99 or 192.168.1.99 to talk to some random router/print server and
change the IP address.

On our servers, we have had a couple of OI boxes that would DHCP fine for a
month, then one day just set the IP address to 0.0.0.0, reboot fixed it,
setting static IP fixed it permanently. On our Static IP VPN boxes I have
nwam turned off to make my life easier with the Solaris 10 guys in our
office, ipadm and dladm are a lot easier to convert them to than teaching
nwam.

Jon