[OpenIndiana-discuss] Expanding storage with JBOD

Roman Naumenko roman at naumenko.ca
Thu Jan 2 02:28:49 UTC 2014

cjt said the following, on 01-01-14 7:14 PM:
> On 01/01/2014 04:23 PM, Roman Naumenko wrote:
>> Saso Kiselkov said the following, on 01-01-14 4:30 PM:

>>> My best experience is with stuff from LSI, mainly the LSI SAS
>>> 2008-derived products such as the LSI 9200-8e, HP SC08e, Dell 6Gbps SAS
>>> HBA, etc.
>>> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=342-0910
>>>

>> I'll probably use LSI SAS3801E, it's listed as compatible on HCL and
>> priced in 80-150 range on ebay.
>>
>> --Roman
> as long as you don't want to use drives bigger than 2GB ...
I don't know if even 2TB will fill fast enough to justifying any
"investment" into storage expansion.
Speaking about storage expansion, even HBA cards are dirt cheap, pricing
on enclosures with integrated SAS expander is just nuts. Can't figure
out how to add 8-12 disks externally to the storage server without
paying for this 2x cost of the server itself.