[OpenIndiana-discuss] Expanding storage with JBOD

Roman Naumenko roman at naumenko.ca
Thu Jan 2 23:15:17 UTC 2014

Saso Kiselkov said the following, on 02-01-14 9:49 AM:
> On 1/2/14, 2:28 AM, Roman Naumenko wrote:
>> cjt said the following, on 01-01-14 7:14 PM:

>>> as long as you don't want to use drives bigger than 2GB ...
>> I don't know if even 2TB will fill fast enough to justifying any
>> "investment" into storage expansion.
>> Speaking about storage expansion, even HBA cards are dirt cheap, pricing
>> on enclosures with integrated SAS expander is just nuts. Can't figure
>> out how to add 8-12 disks externally to the storage server without
>> paying for this 2x cost of the server itself.
> What's your budget? A Supermicro SC826-based enclosure can be had for
> under a thousand bucks and you can set it up as a JBOD easily (get a
> power distribution board for it - Supermicro sells those too). Comes
> with a dual-path expander, dual PSUs and a nice rack-mountable with rack
> rails - kind of the equivalent of something like an HP MSA 60 or Dell
> MD1200, only much cheaper.
Mmmm, budget for 8 disks JBOD...
Lets see:
Case for the 8-16 disks: 100$
PSU: 60$
Controller to get SFF-8088 in/out: 150$
2 or 4 SFF8087x10$: 20-40$
SFF-8088: 15$
2TB disks, 8x80 = 640
Controller with SFF-8088 for the head: 70$
-----
Total: ~1100$
> If you're looking to grow in the future, definitely have a look at
> SC837E26-RJBOD1 and SC847E26-RJBOD1 - these are pre-assembled
> 36/45-drive JBODs and they cost a lot less per drive (either box can be
> had for around $2k). Given that quality 3TB NL-SAS drives cost around
> $250-300 a piece (and I recommend you buy good drives; don't cheap out
> on SATA if you want performance, reliability and peaceful sleep at
> night), the cost of the enclosure will, in the end, be a drop in a
> bucket in your overall investment.
It's for the home storage, cheapo sata is the must :)