[OpenIndiana-discuss] Expanding storage with JBOD

David Scharbach david.scharbach at mac.com
Fri Jan 3 00:19:36 UTC 2014

I use the on board LSI-SAS2008 card on the Tyan S5512WGM2NR motherboard.  I do not think they make it any more but it works great.  If did have a Supermicro AOC-USAS2-L8I UIO card.  It is easily adapted to a standard case, just a couple motherboard standoffs and a card bracket from a normal card (I used an old nic bracket, not worried about the small hole).  That is a cheap way to get an LSI-SAS2008 card, $100 less than an LSI 9211-8i which it is equal to.

The expander card is an Intel RES2SV240 card which was the cheapest I could find that was based on the LSI-SAS2x24 chipset.

And hot-swap is the bomb, so make sure you get that because having to shut down to replace a drive is not cool (I have not shut off my server in a long time, even with the drive failures).

Cheers,