[OpenIndiana-discuss] Expanding storage with JBOD

Roman Naumenko roman at naumenko.ca
Thu Jan 2 23:57:37 UTC 2014

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) said the following, on 02-01-14 8:33 AM:
>> From: Roman Naumenko [mailto:roman at naumenko.ca]
>>
>> I don't know if even 2TB will fill fast enough to justifying any "investment"
>> into storage expansion.
>>
>> I don't get that comment.

I don't need crazy amount of space nor throughput.

>> Speaking about storage expansion, even HBA cards are dirt cheap, pricing on
>> enclosures with integrated SAS expander is just nuts. Can't figure out how to
>> add 8-12 disks externally to the storage server without paying for this 2x cost
>> of the server itself.
>>
>> Depends how much you paid for the server itself.  ;-)  But that's kind of irrelevant.  Often, the storage *is* more expensive than the rest of the server.  Depends on how much storage you're adding.  There's a cost for the HBA, for the drive bay, and then a cost for the disks, multiplied by the number of disks.  So the disks add up quickly.
>>
>> I'm a fan of Sans Digital products for the price.  And I'm a fan of using the disks that they recommend.
Maybe something like this?
Well, netapp won't work without ONTAP on mothership server.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NetApp-DS14-Shelf-14-Drive-Capacity-Storage-Array-Unit-/350956372695?pt=US_NAS_Disk_Arrays&hash=item51b6a142d7

HP then? Is it possible to find used array like one below, fill it with
2TB disk and connect over 8088 to the controller on the server?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-STORAGEWORKS-MSA70-MODULAR-SMART-ARRAY-418800-B21-25-x-HDD-BAYS-/121234564919?pt=US_NAS_Disk_Arrays&hash=item1c3a24a737

--Roman