[OpenIndiana-discuss] IPS packaging of different NVIDIA drivers

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Sun Jan 5 12:27:49 UTC 2014

Hi,
I was wandering if OI solved this issue somehow.
We're trying to have it solved on XStreamOS IPS repo.
NVIDIA provides ".run" installers of their drivers for Solaris still in pkgadd format.
We mainly provide an IPS package of the latest main NVIDIA drivers package.
I happened to test-drive an old Sun Ultra AMD64 machine with XStream Desktop, finding that
the GeForce 6200 is not supported by those drivers.
I had to download a legacy package from NVIDIA, and force a pkgadd install of the package over the original
preinstalled.
And it works.
I then started to figure out how to provide a secondary IPS package containing these drivers.
It would be useful to have them preinstalled side by side, but naming conflicts are an issue:
- I would have to rename kernel drivers and conf files
- All the so libraries have same names, and cannot be renamed
So basically I could not find a secure way to deliver both drivers and associate them via driver_aliases.
I believe NVIDIA should have different namings for their different driver packages, to allow for concurrent
installation and let the system decide which one to pick up.
What do you think?
Gabriele.