[OpenIndiana-discuss] IPS packaging of different NVIDIA drivers

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Jan 5 18:23:00 UTC 2014

On 01/ 5/14 04:27 AM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> I had to download a legacy package from NVIDIA, and force a pkgadd install of the package over the original
> preinstalled.

https://java.net/projects/solaris-x11/pages/NvidiaInstallation is the
suggested method for removing the IPS packages and installing the
downloaded ones - if you don't remove the IPS packages first, then
pkg update or fix could splatter the IPS packaged bits back on top of
the SVR4 ones you installed.

> It would be useful to have them preinstalled side by side, but naming conflicts are an issue:
> - I would have to rename kernel drivers and conf files

Right, the way nvidia has implemented the drivers, you can only have
one version installed at a time.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com