[OpenIndiana-discuss] Forgot Zone Root Password, Redirect X inside Zone, Reinstall Zone

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 18:19:53 UTC 2014

On 1/12/14, 5:54 PM, Handojo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got 3 questions :
>
> 1. Forgotten Zone Root Password
>
> I've just installed a zone inside OI151a8 3 months ago, and right now I forgot the root password inside the zone.
> So, I follow the instruction here :
>
> http://sysadmin-tips-and-tricks.blogspot.com/2013/01/solaris-recover-root-password-in-local.html
>
> But when I login to the zone, it says : pam_authtok_get: login: empty password not allowed for root from localhost
>
> Logging to the zone as another user, and then issue : su
> Yields the same result, and same error message.

Can't you just zlogin as root from the global zone? Then you can run
passwd and set up a new root password.

> 2. Sometime ago before the Root Password error, I tried to redirect Zone such that its graphics output is redirected to another OI machine ( using default GNome Vino ). But It never work. Anybody can give clue ?

The default zone install is pretty light and probably lacks X11
libraries if you're trying to run things like xterm. Make sure these are
installed and that the zone has "xhost" and similar tools installed.
Lastly, make sure X11Forwarding is "yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and
that your client is requesting forwarding (you can force this by logging
in via by passing "-X" to your ssh login command). If all worked, you
should see a DISPLAY variable set in your environment once you log in:

$ echo "$DISPLAY"
localhost:10.0

> 3. If #1 and #2 Fails, how do I reinstall zone ?

You shouldn't have to. Let's resolve #1 and #2 first.

--
Saso