[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs] mask pci-e errors

jason matthews jason at broken.net
Tue Jan 14 04:52:06 UTC 2014

On Jan 13, 2014, at 5:50 PM, Richard Elling <richard.elling at gmail.com> wrote:

> That server has a number of options for active and passive PCIe risers and not
> all slots are created equal. Depending on the riser, you might have to change
> slot configurations to clear. It is possible to look at the fmtopo and determine
> how many pci bridges are in the way.
> — richard

Thanks Richard.

I am using active riser to get all the HBAs I need. The passive riser only supports two or three PCI-e slots. In the interest of complete transparency I replaced the active mid plane with the passive mid plane for the drives.

This is actually a tricky wick. I forgot to mention those systems also have DDRdrive X1s. The current configuration is the only configuration that allowed all of the PCI-e cards to work together. The tipping point was adding the Intel 910.  I literally had to create a truth table for all the possible permutations  and test them to find one that worked. Other configurations resulted in missing HBA or other more erratic behavior.

j.