[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs] mask pci-e errors

jason matthews jason at broken.net
Tue Jan 14 21:41:08 UTC 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 4:12 AM, Rich <rercola at pha.jhu.edu> wrote:

> What's the power draw on the X1 + 910 + HBAs? I wonder if you're trying to suck more power from the PCIe slots than is being provided, at peak, leading to..."exciting" results.

that is an interesting idea but i think i am okay there.

X1 draw is about 10w max
9205-8e is about 15w max
9211-8i is about 15w max
910 is about about 25w max

that puts me at 65w max for my add ons.

relative to some video cards that doesn't seem like much and that is probably the max for low end consumer boards. however,  i can't find any specifications for how much power can be delivered through the pci-e bus for s5520ur m/b. it is not exactly a cheap consumer piece of crap, the thing is really well made. there are however published specs for total power consumption per voltage rail which seems to indicate would be plenty of power available. The power draw for the whole server (less the external disk shelves) is sub 255w (or 14-16% per p/s for the inventory) and the thermal margins on all the sensors are excellent.

what do you think? i don't have a good grasp of what typical draw is on a server board in these cases. maybe i can engage intel.

j.