[OpenIndiana-discuss] Updating OpenIndiana Later, Will Zone migrated well and run well ?

Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator] predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Wed Jan 22 15:37:17 UTC 2014

On 01/22/14 04:24 PM, Handojo wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I've read somewhere here in the mailing list, where zone does not run anymore when migrating OI to a newer version.
>
> So, is this the default behavior, provided that all required packages (or libraries) installed are the same ( name ) ?
>

> Anyone migrate zone (with a running apps, not just newly created zone) from 151a7 to a8 ?
>

> Regards,
>
> Han

Hi,

I have (long time ago) migrated from 151a7 to 151a8, and if I recall
properly, this was procedure (I also made backup of pool holding zone,
juts in case):

a) Update OI (zone is down)
   1) create backup with beadm command
   2) update global zone
   3) reboot
b) once system is booted
   1) make sure that zone is down
   2) update zone (pfexec pkg -R /zones/path/$Zone/root update -v
   3) boot zone

I cannot recall if there were problems or not. I CAN recall that I had
to remove some packages from global zone in order to update it  (those
were re-installed later again). Zone usually has less s/w installed, so
it might be case that I didn't had any problems.

Please, do more readings - as I said, this is what is left in my memory
from this process I did long time ago.

Regards.
--
Predrag Zečević, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!

Life is both difficult and time-consuming.