[OpenIndiana-discuss] recommendations for updating to 151a9

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Wed Jan 22 20:05:52 UTC 2014

All-

Since people are discussing update issues for 151a9, I started looking
around for information on it.  There's nothing on the wiki home page yet,
but I did eventually find

 	http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/oi_151a_prestable9+Release+Notes

and the related JDS updates it mentions.

I have years of experience with Solaris, but I've only been running OI
for about 6 months, so I've never been through an update before.

I tried a

 	pkg update -nv

just to see what the output would be, and there were several conflicts
related to packages I had added from sfe or sfe-encumbered.  Taking
some "pkg" related tips I had saved from others' posts on the mailing
list, I did

 	sudo pkg set-publisher --non-sticky --search-after sfe sfe-encumbered
 	sudo pkg set-publisher --non-sticky sfe

Leaving me with:

  ~$ pkg publisher
PUBLISHER                             TYPE     STATUS   URI
openindiana.org                       origin   online http://pkg.openindiana.org/dev/
opensolaris.org                       origin   online http://pkg.openindiana.org/legacy/
sfe                      (non-sticky) origin   online http://pkg.openindiana.org/sfe/
sfe-encumbered           (non-sticky) origin   online http://pkg.openindiana.org/sfe-encumbered/

Looking at the

 	http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Upgrading+OpenIndiana

There are a few things I'm uncertain of:

- it recommends removing opensolaris.org as a publisher.  I didn't add
   that, so it must have come from the OI151a8 install I did.  Should I
   really remove it?

- it recommends using "image-update".  That doesn't seem to be documented
   in the "pkg" man page.  How does it differ from just "update"?  Is it
   just deprecated syntax that's been replaced by "update"?

- this is a desktop workstation, so I've installed quite a few
   media-related packages from sfe, and a couple from sfe-encumbered.
   After I set sfe and sfe-encumbered as non-sticky,
   the "pkg update -nv" had no conflicts, but I'm uncertain what that
   means for the packages I've installed from sfe or sfe-encumbered.

 	- should I just remove all of them before I do an update?
 	- will the fact that sfe and sfe-encumbered are now non-sticky mean
 	  that the updates that come from /dev will leave sfe packages on the
 	  system, but in a broken state?  Or, will the update automatically
 	  remove stuff from sfe/sfe-encumbered if their dependencies are no
 	  longer met?

Thanks,

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)