[OpenIndiana-discuss] Upgrade Conflicts with 151a9

Milan Jurik milan.jurik at xylab.cz
Thu Jan 23 08:31:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 23.01.2014 09:13, Predrag Zecevic [Unix Systems Administrator]
wrote:
> I know that (you had said that to me few times). What I wanted to
> stress is:

so why do you ask again and again? :-)

> a) lack of any instructions, docs and plan explanation, etc for both
> /dev and /hispter releases

Lack of time, no document writers?

> b) I had a look into dictionary: hipster is "a person who follows the
> latest trends and fashions." - So I would expect that /hipster is
> moving faster than /dev.

In some ways yes, probably. Not in all.

> c) I would expect that changes made in /hipster are implemented to
> /dev (or it could be that I have wrong impression? see a)

Look at /hipster as Ubuntu and /dev as Debian. Sometimes Ubuntu move
faster, sometimes Debian. They can take inspirations from each other.

In reality, I am ready to claim, that the most part of JDS is the most
up-to-date in OI. Even in comparison to Solaris. The rest will be fixed
with a10, I hope :-)

Again, I do not care about /hipster and I hope that /dev will not take
JDS bits from it, because it is much much much easier to maintain JDS in
specs than in userland.

> d) I am willing to help with testing, but with no idea what would be
> next step, it is really hard.

I understand it is not easy to start. But to be fair, several people
asked me how they can help. In case of /hipster I answer - go and look
at userland and help there. I cannot do more for you. Sorry.

>>> Regards.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Milan
> Regards
> Predrag
>>

> P.S. I am running /hipster and have zone running /dev. Now I have
> paradox: zone was updated to 1.9 while my global zone is still 1.8.1

It is only number, nothing more :-)

Best regards,

Milan