[OpenIndiana-discuss] cache/log device on rpool

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 12:16:54 UTC 2014

On 1/27/14, 12:12 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 01/27/2014 15:58, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>> Hello.
>> I'd like to know if cache or log device is supported on rpool?
>> I've added cache device to rpool on VM, and it booted succesfully after
>> that. However, I had strong feeling that it is not supported...
>>
>> I'm still looking at new notebook and wondering if I could use
>> additional SSD as cache...
>
> Yes, it seems to be a supported configuration.
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.solaris.opensolaris.zfs/45707

Yes it is. The only reason it wasn't supported in the first place is
because of the GRUB ZFS implementation, which must be able to read the
entire kernel & boot archive from a single physical drive. Neither the
slog nor the l2cache devices are needed for that, hence why you can use
them. Same thing with mirror vdevs (all drives contain the a full copy
of the kernel & boot archive).

Cheers,
--
Saso