[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bugs 4043 and 4067

Stephen S. Jones sjones3 at citadel.edu
Mon Jan 27 14:22:27 UTC 2014

OpenIndiana Community (OpenHoosiers?),
Bugs #4043 and #4067 recently were classified as complete and were closed.  From my perspective and through the most current updates, neither issue is resolved.

My production hardware was running 151a7 and was updated last August to 151a8 until bugs 4042 and 4067 manifested themselves.  I backed out to a Boot Environment (BE) of 151a8 which did not manifest the bugs.  Since I cannot trust my productive hardware on unreliable updates, I have been testing updates on a VMWare virtual machine (vm).  This vm was installed using oi-dev-151a8-live-x86.iso on about 20 December and updated using # pkg update -v.

Still, as in late last August, USB drives can be mounted but not unmounted as me, the only user, logged-in in gnome.  As root with su in the command-line, I can # umount /media/the-USB-drive.  Likewise, no trash can appears on the bottom gnome panel on the Desktop.  Neither "Trash" nor "Computer" can be accessed by their buttons under Places in a File Browser.  Also, "Computer" cannot be accessed by its icon in the Main Toolbar of a File Browser.  Other manifestations of the bugs exist including the ability to use alacarte to create and to edit gui launchers.

As Predrag (wiki.oi on 25 Nov 2013), I am starting to believe that the errors are being caused by authorizations and privileges of the RBAC system.  As Milan suggested to Gary in comments at the bottom of bug 4067, I checked my RBAC profiles.  Issuing “profiles” reported that I do have “Console User” as well as “Suspend to RAM”, “Suspend to Disk” “Brightness”, “CPU Power Management”, “Network Autoconf User”, “Basic Solaris User”, and “All”.  Experimenting, I also assigned to myself the profiles of “Desktop Removable Media User”, “Primary Administrator”, and “Software Installation”.  The additional profiles had no effect.  Issuing “roles” indicates that I have the role of “root”.

I had been a Solaris user and system administrator from Solaris 2.5.1 through Solaris 10.  I have been using OpenIndiana since 151a5.  Unbeknownst to me at the time, RBAC became a regular part of Solaris with version 10.  Here with OI 151a9, I am ill prepared to troubleshoot the effects of RBAC on various programs and operations.  I hope that one of us OpenHoosiers with experience in RBAC can pursue bugs 4043 and 4067 again with the hypothesis that RBAC is the cause and solution.

Thanks