[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 1.8 /dev: need help (missing feature for read 'org.illumos:lz4_compress')

Predrag Zecevic predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Mon Jan 27 19:00:41 UTC 2014

Am 27.01.2014 15:54, schrieb Aneurin Price:
> On 27 January 2014 10:05, Saso Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Then the USB is broken and is trying to boot your disks, not the USB
>> (it's probably confusing the two also). You could also try using the
>> OmniOS USB - it's possible the OI GRUB stage2 is outdated and the
>> shipped version doesn't include LZ4 support (would be surprised, but
>> better make sure).
>>

> It definitely does on the ISO version (and has done for at least a few
> months) - I used an OI disc to solve this problem myself a while back.
> Unfortunately I don't recall the precise steps I followed, so I can't
> give any specific help other than to confirm that it is possible to
> solve the problem by booting from the OI disc and reinstalling grub
> from there.

It was problem USB installation! I would say, it is not usable in
recovery case(s).

I have downloaded ISO
(http://dlc-origin.openindiana.org/isos/hipster/OI-hipster-text-20140124.iso).
Used Text installation, because it can fit into CDROM.

After (successful) booting from CDROM (was failing with USB image boot),
I choose 'Shell' and got root prompt.

Now, I have performed following steps (used several pages which were
returned by Google search as reference):

$ zpool import
# this command showed both pools I had, but needed only rpool:

$ zpool import -f rpool
# this has imported pool which was used by my system

$ zpool status rpool
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h40m with 0 errors on Sat Jan  4 21:40:04 2014
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          c2d1s0    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
# NOTE: c2d1s0 is slice which needs reparation

$ installgrub /media/OpenIndiana_Text_X86/boot/grub/stage1
/media/OpenIndiana_Text_X86/boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c2d1s0
# I guess i could use ONLY /boot/grub path, but I picked up this one -
it is for sure from CDROM

$ reboot # eject cdrom during reboot

Voila! My system has booted properly now:

$ uname -rosv
SunOS 5.11 oi_151a8 Solaris

$ zfs get all | grep lz4
Zecevic/web/WebDisk                          compression
     lz4                                          local
rpool/export/home/ftp                        compression
     lz4                                          local
# I had 2 file systems with lz4 compression enabled

Now I can move to 151a9.

Thank you all for help/hints.
Best regards.

--
Predrag Zecevic, Technical Support Analyst, 2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                      65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!