[OpenIndiana-discuss] Static IP problem

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Jul 8 13:53:16 UTC 2014

Michelle Knight <michelle at msknight.com> writes:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've installed 151a8 text server but I'm having problems with my notes
> to change to static IP and my searches of the web are turning up
> nothing different ... but I'm obviously missing something.
>
> svcadm disable svc:/network/physical:nwam
> svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default
> cp /etc/nsswitch.dns /etc/nsswitch.conf
> ipadm create-addr -T static -a 192.168.0.2/24 bge0/v4
> svcadm restart svc:/network/physical:default
> route -p add default 192.168.0.1
>
> ...however bge0 is still showing as disabled.  (obviously the route
> fails because it can't reach the network)
>
> Any ideas on what I've missed please?

Just a bit of a different route to same goal:

I sort of gave up on fighting with oi about static addressing a good
while ago and do it this way:

Many, if not all routers these days, have options to offer a dedicated
address to a specific MAC address when a dhcp address in requested by
a host with that MAC.

That can be set on the router (in many cases) with the end result
being your hosts' MAC always receives the same address even if it is
issued via dhcp, and no other hosts will be offered that address.

So, you have the benefit of a static address but not the headache.