[OpenIndiana-discuss] What Do I Have To Install To Get A GUI ?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Jul 16 03:58:25 UTC 2014

On 07/15/14 02:33 PM, jay at m5.chicago.il.us wrote:
> The X server did not run, until I
> had installed x11/server/xorg/driver/*.  One would think that if the
> X server depends on certain drivers, that those drivers would be, how
> shall we say it, dependencies, and that pkg would bring them in when
> asked to install the X server, but it does not.

pkg doesn't know what video card you have, and thus which of those drivers you
depend on.   Listing a dependency on every driver annoys people who only need
one of them installed.

Things work much better if you use the GUI installer to install systems on
which you want to run a GUI.   On Solaris 11, "pkg install solaris-desktop"
would get you all the bits as well, but since OpenIndiana still uses the
old names, the packages from the GUI install media are grouped under the
more obscure name, "pkg install slim_install".

> (and CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE did not kill the X server; I had to ssh
> in and type "svcadm disable gdm"; how to you get CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to
> work?).

Should be the same as all other platforms using modern Xorg releases:
http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xorg-docs/input/XKB-Config.html#zap
http://who-t.blogspot.com/2009/04/zapping-server.html
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/375/how-to-enable-killing-xorg-with-ctrlaltbackspace

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com