[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2x Xeon XS8600

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Jul 17 01:10:46 UTC 2014

I recently bought an HP xw8600 workstation off ebay.

2x Xeon 5470 at 3.33 Ghz ... with 32 GB ram

Currently its running windows 7.   I intend to change over to OI but
first need to understand something about the sata controller.

It has the HP 0A98h mobo but I'm having trouble finding a nice tidy
statement of specs.  I've not found anything like the nifty azus specs
available on line... perhaps this being a server class outfit it isn't
done that way.

I did find a couple of pdfs on hp site but they were far short of a
full spec or a nice complete diagram.  Nothing like, for example those
provided by asus.

Cutting to the chase... I want 6-8 working sata ports and expect to
run half that many mirrored zpools.

It appears to have 14 sata ports visible on the mobo... but not sure
what I'm looking at or what the color coding means.

Attached are 2 images showing what appear to be 3 rows of sata ports.
The top row (img1) is the only one with anything connected, 2 cdrom and 2hdd

Img2 shows a row of only 2 ports and a row of 6 (while I hold the sata
connector wires up out of the way with my hand)

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here?  What the color coding
means? How many are actually working sata ports?  What does RED
indicate?