[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2x Xeon XS8600

Murray themurman01 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 01:52:49 UTC 2014

> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 21:10:46 -0400
> From: Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com>
> To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
> Subject: [OpenIndiana-discuss] 2x Xeon XS8600
>
> I recently bought an HP xw8600 workstation off ebay.
>
> 2x Xeon 5470 at 3.33 Ghz ... with 32 GB ram
>
> Currently its running windows 7.   I intend to change over to OI but
> first need to understand something about the sata controller.
>
> It has the HP 0A98h mobo but I'm having trouble finding a nice tidy
> statement of specs.  I've not found anything like the nifty azus specs
> available on line... perhaps this being a server class outfit it isn't
> done that way.
>
> I did find a couple of pdfs on hp site but they were far short of a
> full spec or a nice complete diagram.  Nothing like, for example those
> provided by asus.
>
> Cutting to the chase... I want 6-8 working sata ports and expect to
> run half that many mirrored zpools.
>
> It appears to have 14 sata ports visible on the mobo... but not sure
> what I'm looking at or what the color coding means.
>
> Attached are 2 images showing what appear to be 3 rows of sata ports.
> The top row (img1) is the only one with anything connected, 2 cdrom and 2hdd
>
> Img2 shows a row of only 2 ports and a row of 6 (while I hold the sata
> connector wires up out of the way with my hand)
>
> Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here?  What the color coding
> means? How many are actually working sata ports?  What does RED
> indicate?

Images didn't get through, but from memory, there should be 6 sata ports and 8 sas ports on the motherboard. Should be an Lsi 1068e on the mobo.

I think I still have one as a spare at work, I will check tomorrow and let you know for sure.

The inside of the hp lid usually has a sticker detailing sata and sas ports, PCI-x and PCI-e slots, etc.

I had very good luck running OI on an 8400 with 12 gb ram.

Regards
Murray