[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2x Xeon XS8600

Alex Smith (K4RNT) shadowhunter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 07:10:48 UTC 2014

SATA disks can run on a SAS controller no problem - they are backwards
compatible, however SAS disks will NOT work on a SATA only controller.

The blue colored SATA socket is port 0, probably for the boot volume. I
can't see from the angle of the photo, but I bet the white colored sockets
are for SAS. Are there any SFF-8087 connectors on the mainboard, by chance?

With the LSI HBA, if it requires it, just make each individual disk a RAID
0 volume. That's how I did it with MegaRAID.

Best of luck!

" 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the
first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we’re all
episode "The Drumhead"
- Alex Smith
- Huntsville, Alabama metropolitan area USA